© CPTM- Photo: Ricardo Espinosa – reo

U. S. Citizens

All citizens of the United States must present a valid passport when entering Mexico by any means of transportation. There are no exceptions for minors. Stays less than 72 hours within the border area do not require a visa or tourist card if the visit is within the border zone that has been established by the Mexican government (see here for more information). When crossing the border area or entering the country by air, U. S. citizens must pay a fee to obtain a tourist card (FMM, or Forma Migratoria Multiple—see below), which is available at border crossing points, Mexican tourist offices and airports located within the border area. Major airlines provide the FMM in flight. The form is required to contain the following information: number of days to be spent in the country, passport number, destination,  and city of origin, along with other data. Business travelers must complete and submit the FM-N 30 Days form, which will allow them to do business but not accept a job for a period of 30 days. Those who need to enter the country for reasons other than tourism and business, or to stay for more than 180 days, will need to obtain a visa and must carry a valid passport. U. S. citizens contemplating working or living in Mexico must apply for the Mexican visa at the Mexican Embassy, located at 1911 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20006 (telephone 202-736-1000) or at any consulate of Mexico in the United States.

All U. S. citizens 16 years of age or older must present a passport or passport card to reenter their country by land or sea. Children under 16 years of age may reenter the United States via land with a legal document (naturalization certificate or birth certificate). Note: When entering the United States by air, all citizens, irrespective of their age, must present a valid passport in book form. The passport card is not valid for entry into the United States by air.


All Non-Mexican Citizens

All tourists arriving in Mexico require the Mexico Visitor’s Permit (FMM), which is valid for 180 days. This document is usually available inflight from arriving airlines, at ports of entry into Mexico, or from travel agencies. The Mexican government also charges an arrival fee (approximately US $24.50) for tourists and business people. If you are flying into Mexico, this fee may have been collected by your airline as part of the cost of your ticket. Check with your carrier to confirm this.



Foreigners originating from countries with which the Mexican government has signed visa suppression agreements will not require a visa. Effective May 2016, here is a list of countries that do not require a visa for travel to Mexico: United States, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom, and Schengen Area (European Union) countries.


Limitation on Goods Brought Into Mexico

All passengers entering Mexico can carry a maximum of US $300 in merchandise, in addition to their personal belongings. If this limit is exceeded a passenger will have to pay an extra charge and the luggage will be subject to review by the authorities of the Mexican Customs.



Consulates in the U. S.

Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Little Rock (AR), Miami, New York, Phoenix, Washington, D.C.

Embassy in the U. S.

Washington, D.C.



There are no mandatory vaccines for entry into Mexico. However, the CDC in Atlanta makes important recommendations here.