Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Initiative
History: At the 2020 ETC Conference many attendees demonstrated their interest in continuing the conversation on diversity, equity and inclusion within the affinity travel industry. As a result, a group of colleagues volunteered to join a “DEI” workgroup to create opportunities where you can engage in this work.
Our Mission: To identify and acknowledge issues of racial and social injustice within affinity travel. Our goal is to create and sustain an inspired community of travel professionals dedicated to encouraging a more inclusive and supportive industry where members are engaged in dismantling inequities through facilitating guidance, dialogue, education, teamwork and innovative best practices.
DEI Peer Group: Whether you are just beginning your journey or already have success stories to share with peers, you’re invited to join the DEI Initiative for ongoing conversations, education, and shared best practices.
- Join the DEI Initiative
- DEI Online Discussion Forum
- This private forum (accessible to DEI group members) is a place where you can share your thoughts, ideas and questions and provide feedback on future programming and discussion topics
- Look under “Forums” on the menu bar, after logging in to the ETC website.
- More to come
Upcoming Events 2021
- Jan – April: Book Discussion Series
- Join us for a 4-part series that will meet monthly.
- Using Dr. Anu Taranath’s book, Beyond Guilt Trips: Mindful Travel in an Unequal World, to guide our conversations, attendees from the ETC community will openly and honestly unpack key themes, topics and questions from the book. The series will also offer the opportunity to share our own experiences traveling in an unequal world and discuss how we might integrate “mindful travel” in our programs and organizations.
- Members of the DEI Community will receive an invitation to join the event
- Share your thoughts by completing this survey by Nov. 25: www.surveymonkey.com/r/D2SQRPD
- If you need a copy of Dr. Taranath’s book, please consider ordering the book now to avoid any shipping or handling delays. Beyond Guilt Trips: Mindful Travel in an Unequal World can be purchased directly from the publisher, Between the Lines, and via other online bookstores such as www.amazon.com. You might also be able to borrow the book via your local library’s digital media services.
- July 2020: ETC Webinar: Mindful Travel with Anu Taranath
- Aug 2020: ETC Webinar: Facilitation with Janet Ferguson
- More to come
Workgroup Founding Members: Angela Jenkins, Thomson Safaris; Emily Casperson, Stanford Travel/Study; Janet Moore, Distant Horizons; Jared Dial, National Parks Conservation Association; Krystle Ellis, Smith Travel; Nichole McGrew, UW Alumni Tours