Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Initiative
History: At the 2020 ETC Conference many attendees demonstrated their interest in continuing the conversation on diversity, equity and inclusion within the affinity travel industry. As a result, a group of colleagues volunteered to join a “DEI” workgroup to create opportunities where you can engage in this work.
Our Mission: To identify and acknowledge issues of racial and social injustice within affinity travel. Our goal is to create and sustain an inspired community of travel professionals dedicated to encouraging a more inclusive and supportive industry where members are engaged in dismantling inequities through facilitating guidance, dialogue, education, teamwork and innovative best practices.
DEI Initiative Peer Group: Whether you are just beginning your journey or already have success stories to share with peers, you’re invited to join the DEI Initiative for ongoing conversations, education, and shared best practices.
- Join the DEI Initiative Peer Group
- Sign up to gain access to the DEI Online Discussion Forum and receive invitations to future programming and resources – just send us an email
- Engage on the DEI Online Discussion Forum
- This private forum (accessible to DEI Initiative Peer Group members) is a place to share your thoughts, ideas and questions and provide feedback on future programming and discussion topics
- Look under “Forums” on the menu bar, after logging into the ETC website.
- Attend future Programming & Events – Join the DEI Initiative Peer Group to receive an invitation to join our events.
June 2022 Webinar: Date, time and topic will be announced soon.
- Feb – May 2021: Beyond Guilt Trips: Mindful Travel in an Unequal World – Book Discussion Series (see details below)
- April 21, 2021: Reimagining Travel: The Future of Responsible Tourism
- June 17, 2021: DEI Reflections: Open Discussion on ‘the Race Card Project – honest, hidden thoughts on race captured in just 6 words’
- Oct 14, 2021: Cultural Appropriation vs Cultural Appreciation
- Nov 2021 ETC Symposium: several DEI specific sessions/discussions
- March 16, 2022: Tackling Implicit Bias in Affinity Travel
For the most up-to-date and complete information regarding past ETC programming and resources for members, login to your ETC account, click Dashboard and then access the Resources tab.
- July 2020: ETC Webinar: Mindful Travel with Anu Taranath
- Aug 2020: ETC Webinar: Facilitation with Janet Ferguson
- 2021: Beyond Guilt Trips: Mindful Travel in an Unequal World Book Discussion – Sessions: 1) Understanding Difference at Home; 2) Mindful Travel Abroad; 3) The Coming Home Process. Discussion Highlights:
Workgroup Members: Alea Morelock Cot, University of New Orleans; Angela Jenkins, Thomson Safaris; Emily Casperson, Stanford Travel/Study; Gina Carmo, Inspire Travel; Ian Kynor, The Travel Corporation; Janet Moore, Distant Horizons; Jared Dial, National Parks Conservation Association; Krystle Ellis, Consulate General of Canada; Melanie Swenarchuk, Travel Manitoba; Nichole McGrew, Abercrombie & Kent USA DMC